Winter is very much here and with Christmas round the corner its very easy to forget about the boat and just stay warm and cosy at home by the fire.
Here are some top tips which will help prep your boat for the colder months whilst not in use:
- A Clean Boat – Will protect the boat for longer and mean less work when the time comes to take her out again. We recommend cleaning all the superstructure you can plus a quick wax if you can and don’t forget your spray hoods or covers! Ideally take them off and store them in a dry place for a few months because if you don’t, if already in poor condition they will perish further and they are not cheap to replace.
- Flush the Cooling System – Inboards and stern drives will benefit hugely by flushing the engine through to remove any dirt or salt. Its also recommend that you flush through Anti-Freeze with temperatures expected to drop during the winter period.
- Fill your tank – Make sure your fuel tank is full to stop the build up of condensation whilst not in use. Prevents sediment getting into the fuel.
- From Bow to Stern – Check her over in full. Be the best time to catch any problems you might have missed and gives you an opportunity to make a list of jobs required in the new year to tackle.
- Clean and Dry Bilges – Clean out your bilges of any water or oil. It is also a good idea to check lockers as they sometimes have a habit of filling up!
- Remove and Store – If you can, take your cushions out for the winter and anything perishable.